The picture below is my father's Norton Atlas that he bought new when he was 21, and here in this picture I am sitting on it trying to be Steve McQueen when I was 21. McQueen was a mutual hero of my father and I, and I remember that day so well. It was one of those perfect days. Dad, my brother, and I worked in cleaning up the garage, we sat and talked bikes, my brother took this picture of me. It was just one of those wonderful days. I was feeling top of my game and everything was going right.

For as long as I can remember I have loved the Norton Atlas and wanted one. Not just any, I have wanted his, that bike above there. When he died I turned it into a Triton, a bike I just haven't been able to finish yet. For some reason finishing that bike is like the final nail in Dad's coffin, I just can't do it. Not yet.
I have been through so many bikes. Its one of those funny things, I was given the 1981 Suzuki GS550 because it was wrecked by a friend of a friend. It took some time, but yesterday I was finally able to get her on the road. It's not legal, but its rideable.


I have it idling fairly decent, and I have finally got a gas cap that I can get on and off. She fires right up, drives pretty good, stops less good - but OK. I feel pretty goofy with the current handlebars, but I think in time I'll be able to mount something flatter and easier to handle.


Seriously though I'm thrilled with this bike. I don't know how or why, but I find that I love this bike almost as much as the Norton. She handles good, is light on her feet, nimble, and makes the same HP as the Norton. She is very much like the Norton.
Dad named the Norton "Old Venerable Old" and I have named the GS "Jenny Lind" after a locomotive I wanted to build when I was a little kid, he was so cool that he bought me the book for building it as well as some of the plans. Always willing to encourage me. I can think of no better tribute than Jenny Lind.
She really is quite something. More later.

No comments:
Post a Comment