Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Well Fuck.




OK, so I just did a ton of research on Winter tires for motorcycles. The prospects were... well... 3 selections of tires, all made by the same company (that weren't $300 each). So the Harley idea is totally dead, you can NOT get a 4 season tire for it's rear wheel. So that left the BMW option, the Ural option, and the Dnepr option.

Good Urals are expensive. Good BMWs are less expensive. But well... the Best suited BMW for what I need is an early 80s BMW R100RT (shown in a previous post). They can be had with about 30,000 miles for about $2000. They weigh 515 pounds, make 70HP, come fully faired, and will accept these snow tires. Well... the KZ1000 which I already have weighs 530 pounds, makes 80HP, comes with a Windjammer fairing, and will accept these snow tires.

A BMW would require a $600 kit to mount the sidecar I have to it. The KZ requires a trip to Conn to have Matt weld on the proper mounting brackets for somewhere between free and $100.

So you tell me... what POSSIBLE excuse could I have for selling the KZ1000 and buying a BMW?

Oh yes, and the BWM will require the valves adjusted once a month, the KZ requires no valve adjustment.

Soooooo yeah. The Harley and BMW ideas are now dead in my head.

I will also be holding onto the car until after a few trips in the snow - just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War! But no, really, I'm a student to be a motorcycle mechanic, I'm 25, I write a lot, I eat less than I should, I sleep less than I should, but I like to get out and live. I don't drink, but I smoke a pipe. My sense of style is at Least 40 years out of date, I am who I am, and That's who I am.