The Triton can be done up for about $500, and that being the meaningful bike, that is the priority. The Bitsa will be more expensive and time consuming, about $3200.
Triton first.
When I started her after Dad died I had an interesting idea in mind, I had wanted to keep the bike as close to a Norton Atlas as possible, but but with high pipes and a Triumph motor.
For the Triton I will need a front axle, dust cover, and nut. I'll need low pipes, rear axle spacers, a powerbox, another wire harness, and low exhaust pipes.
The general idea is to run the engine completely off the Joe Hunt Magneto, and have the powerbox run the lights off the alternator. The alternator has two wires and the Powerbox has 4 wires - 2 for the alternator, and two that will replace the battery leads.
Bitsa
This one is more involved, a true Bitsa - which stands for Bits and Pieces - an English biking term from the 60s and 70s. This will be a Suzuki GS550 chassis from the late 70s, a 2003 Royal Enfield 500cc single cylinder engine, and a 1967 Norton AMC gearbox.
I'm going to have to cut up the existing Enfield frame for mounting points to work into the Suzuki frame. What I'll do is make plywood templates of the Enfield engine and gearbox, then fix them into the Enfield frame and then bring the Suzuki frame down to a local welder and have them weld the one frame into the other making frame brackets in the process.
Now for anyone who has a standard new 500cc Enfield who wants to get real power out of it, what they do is they buy a 612cc Performance kit from Hitchcocks in England which includes an English made crank, barrel, piston, head, carb, gasket kit, bearings, clutch springs, muffler, high velocity oil pumps, competition cams, and all the small stuff. This comes to $4000 USD. I don't NEED all that, but I recognize that if I still had the stock Enfield, this is exactly what I'd be looking to do, so my budget is $4000. I can do what I need for less.
Here's what I need to do.
Norton Belt Drive and complete Clutch $863
Rebuild the Crank:
-Forged Connecting Rod with Bigend Roller $650
-Timing shaft nut $2.40
-Timing shaft lock ring $.30
-Timing shaft $38.30
-Thrust washers $1.18
-Timing Keys $1.50
Total $693.68
Timing Side:
-Pushrods $80
-High Capacity oil pumps $120
-Oil Worm $12
-Stainless Screws $11
-Distributor Gear & Nut $23.50
-Idler Gears & Washers $45
-Inlet Cam & Washer $72.40
-Exhaust Cam $72
-Timing Gear $19
Total $450
Distributor:
-body $50
-Gasket $2
-Washers $2
-screws $3
-shaft $9
-Bearings $26
-circlips $3
-cam screw $1
-lock washer $.50
-washers $.12
-Baseplate screws & washers $3.50
-cover $10
-screws $1.20
Total $113.70
Random:
-carb manifold $38
-piston clips $1
-piston rings $50
-powerbox $114
-stator $112
-rotor $114
-battery $40
-coil $40
-electronic ignition $110
-gasket set $28
-exhaust $260
Total $907
Grand Total $3,031
Put it all together and you get one of these:


No comments:
Post a Comment