
So what you see is the crankshaft on the drive side of the engine. The first picture shows the 3 bolt holes that Enfield uses to mount the inner primary cover - this is the cover that the chain linking the engine sprocket (off the crank) to the clutch sprocket (which is off the gearbox). So this chain, the alternator and the clutch all run inside of this chain case which is sealed and there is an oil bath inside.
On my Norton cases I had an issue - there was a bracket which you can see in the 3rd picture which is supposed to hold the stator (part of the alternator) which screws into the crank case inside of the inner primary cover. The Norton cases I got to replace Dad's didn't have mounting holes for this bracket.
As it just so happens the mounting holes for the Enfield Inner primary cover line up with the bracket designed for the Norton. The downfall is that the mouth of the inner primary cover is too big - that I will solve by making a bracket of my own - that will fit between the stator bracket and the crank case.
god damnit my hands are acting up - I'll finish this later.

No comments:
Post a Comment