
Today however I made some progress. The goal is to get her running as soon as possible. I had hoped to do more with it than I did today, but it was for not having been out of bed much, quite a landmark day. It helped that it was 85 degrees. So I stripped off the headlight which was busted, and finished the rear brake. I am learning more about the machine, and just what makes her tick, and how she ties together. Here she is with no exhaust, no headlight, no gauges.

Re-installing the exhaust took some effort as I discovered that it got bent from what I suspect was a previous accident. So the right hand bracket didn't want to go over the mounting stud. I used a dremal to grind away part of the bracket so that it would slide around the stud, leaving enough to clamp onto.
I also removed the old headlight ears that were bent from hopefully the same accident (they incidentally held the horn so I need to relocate that) and installed some cheap Emgo cafe racer style ones, and with them I installed the Norton headlight, which was previously on the 76 Yamaha XS500.

I have plans for certain parts of the bike that need re-worked. One of which are new side covers, I am going to make them out of cardboard and gorilla tape, the left side cover (which is missing) will have a vent. The right side which covers the battery will be insulated with rubber.
Jack is going to lend me his Lathe at some point as he's moving and needs some place to stash it while he lacks a place to keep it. I plan to make a new front axle for the Norton wheel that will fit the Yamaha forks when he does this so that I can fit it. Once that's done I'll have drum brakes in back and front, and it will save me the cost of rebuilding the master cylinder as well as the caliper. It will also free up room on the flat bars.
I also have to wire in some turnsignals soon.
.
.
.
.
.
This last picture I took after I finished working on the bike.

No comments:
Post a Comment