Monday, January 25, 2010

Motorcycle Talk

I have one of these, it is a 1982 Yamaha XJ400.


It is all in all a fairly ugly machine, though very functional. It has a mono shock in the rear and tall front forks. A solid 6" drum brake in the back, and a pathetic single piston disc brake in the front. The styling was an attempt at the American market. The engine is a 400cc that outputs about 45HP. She apparently handles very well, and gets good gas millage.

Mine is a bit worse for wear. It needs oil, a new oil bolt, the mufflers are pretty beat up and rotting through at the balance pipe, the carbs may need a bit of work. Needs new tires, and the drive chain needs replaced.

Might need a new battery.

So here's the lists.

New Battery $45
New Blinker $10
2 Mirrors $24
Rear Brake Shoes $20
Front Brake Pads $16
Chain $95
Front Sprocket (with Bolts) 21
Oil Bolt $9
Oil Filter $7
European Handlebars $15 (why not while I'm fixing the regular stuff)

Total: $250ish

Then if we want to dream a bit later on (prices are estimates that are all over)
Exhaust $250
Gas Tank $350
Seat $150
Rear Sets $100
Clip Ons $60
Headlight Ears $40

Total $950

So for about $300 I can have it back to fully happy working order, and for an extra $1000 I can have it look something like this:


The overall Idea is to eventually have a true Cafe Racer. Not like the one's my father's generation (now) throws $10,000 into a restored 60's Norton - getting the bike they dreamed of when they were my age. But instead to end up with the bike they'd have built using what they had when they were my age.

The end result is something I can be proud of and "ride the piss out of" to use a Dad expression. And to further it a cycle, the tank and seat would be re-usable on the Norton chassis I have (or many Jap frames), so their higher cost evens out if/when the XS400 engine bites the dust.

MOST likely I'll put $300 into the bike to make it roadworthy and stop.

Oh one other plan is to swop the front forks on the XJ and the GS which will lower the XJ front end about 1" and give me a better disc brake. Then to use one of my Hagon or Shrouded shocks to replace the monoshock (which will lower the rear about 1" and replace the worn out rear suspension.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War! But no, really, I'm a student to be a motorcycle mechanic, I'm 25, I write a lot, I eat less than I should, I sleep less than I should, but I like to get out and live. I don't drink, but I smoke a pipe. My sense of style is at Least 40 years out of date, I am who I am, and That's who I am.