Now to build this bike:

I was going to have to build special mounting brackets for the engine, make a special engine sprocket that linked an Enfield engine to a Norton clutch, and then another special sprocket that linked a Norton Gearbox to either an Enfield rear wheel or the Triumph Rear wheel. I would have no center stand, the side stand is shit, I was going to have to make a special battery box that held the battery of course, then another box to hold the Boyer Power Box and the Ignition Coil. Then I was going to have to go through the massive amounts of sheer joy in getting the 67 Norton turned Enfield titled, inspected, and on the road.
Now also in the basement I have a 2002 Royal Enfield frame that was part of this bike:

All that remains of that bike is the defunct engine which I have already torn down and started to rebuild, the frame, and the gastank. So yes. There is some work to do. However it occurred to me that what I could do is use the engine with a gearbox, clutch, & gearbox I found for sale in NY - put into this frame as they were intended to be.
Now my last Enfield was glorious

This one won't look anything like that, and yet it will in a sense. The exhaust is flat black, the engine is alloy and in places flat green, the gearbox is I don't know what, the gastank is primer grey with some gold.
I plan to use the Norton Atlas rear fender, as well as the chrome/gold shrouded shocks that I have. I am going to use the Norton seat, and I am going to use the Norton front end. The end result should be something like this:

But less pretty, and less expensive, and it will get 75 miles per gallon and holds 4. Its a bike that you can get knobby and studded tires for, so it's a bike that I could run 4 seasons. Kick to start, when that fails push to start. You don't need a battery, although for turnsignals I will - unless I use LED turnsignals and brake light. I haven't decided on a carburetor yet, I have 3 to choose from. It's not a highway machine, but it will get the job done.
Anyways, ya thats the plan.
Wahoo.

No comments:
Post a Comment