What is Faith?
a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality"
And what is Morality?
concern with the distinction between good and evil or right and wrong; right or good conduct
Can they be explained away in such simple words? Really?
I'm not so sure. I flunked Social Justice and Moral Growth by the way. It was a good class - Ben Lizotte was out teacher - he really made us think about things - but I just wasn't into homework or studying at that time in my life.
I don't think I can agree with the above definition of Faith.
To me Faith is something that can be touched, can be damaged, it is not necessarily strong - sometimes it hangs on by a thread. Supernatural? Perhaps, or maybe they are natural powers. The Druids for example basically worshiped Nature.
My faith is in God, or Gods - I worshiped Poseidon for a while, and I worshiped Nature for a while. Poseidon is the God of the Sea.
I used to get a kick out of the Christians who would make fun of the Greek Gods, and then go worship a single man who walked on water and turned blood into wine.
But I've read the Bible. The core of that religion is Good - it's strong.
But why do faith and religion have to go hand in hand these days? Why do we have to say "He's a good Christian" which means that he what? Goes to church every sunday? Helps the poor? Follows this code?
My great grandmother went to church every day of the week except Sunday. Sunday is for the tourists she would say. I have her rosary beads in the drawer next to me. I have a cross that was left to her by a nun. Serious mojo.
Do I think that when my father died he simply vanished from all that was? No, I can't believe that - and it leaves too many things that happened before and after unexplained.
Do I hope the pain will someday go away? or do I have Faith.
I don't know. I hope, and I have faith.
I apologize for the jumble and one liners. It's the medications. There was a time when I could have written pages about this, in nice neat, well thought out paragraphs. Now writing is like drawing with crayons.
Monday, December 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(122)
-
▼
December
(11)
- Yamaha XJ400
- ^ Thats my new computer desktop. I'm a geek at hea...
- My Response to a Gay who doesn't believe in Bisexu...
- Norton/Enfield & Yamaha
- Norton/Enfield
- A collection of Thoughts.
- Today I write, or is it now. Now I write? I am in ...
- And We Need Faith For the Same Reasons Its So Hard...
- Thin Blue Flame - Josh Ritter
- Humbug
- Birthday, Motorcycle, and Rant about GREEN people.
-
▼
December
(11)
About Me
- Jack Greenman
- Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War! But no, really, I'm a student to be a motorcycle mechanic, I'm 25, I write a lot, I eat less than I should, I sleep less than I should, but I like to get out and live. I don't drink, but I smoke a pipe. My sense of style is at Least 40 years out of date, I am who I am, and That's who I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment