Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Norton/Enfield & Yamaha

Ok so we'll cover the Yamaha first. I have had dozens of ideas on how to make her look better - when she was Liam's I was brainstorming for him, now I have been brainstorming for me. The bike looks like this:


One of my ideas when it was Liam's was to make use of my old Enfield frame plus the spare Sportster tank I have:


Then after it became mine I found I had a shot at a BSA gastank from the early 70s, which if it fits could in theory look something like this if I get an old bench seat as well:

THAT is a look I quite like! But the chances due to the frame design are slim.

Now on Ebay late last night I found new fiberglass Manx replica tanks that are "Universal" fit - now I almost NEVER trust universal anything. BUT then I found a stock XS400 tank for sale, and it showed an underside pic, so I did a compare of the tanks (as well as another the company sells which is show on the right):



They also have measurements available. SO if it checks out. Well the tank would be interchangeable between the Norton featherbed frame and the Yam. So its cost worthy. So that frame plus old school Manx style seats the same company sells, a little 1/4 fairing, and some replica Lucas turnsignals and the XS would eventually go from ugly American knock off bastard to cafe racer - and I would treat and ride it as such.


Anyways, as to the Enfield question.

I know that the current crank has been through minor trauma. I know it will be ok for now, but eventually needs rebuilt or replaced. Now I don't know what I want to do. Do I want to mod the engine to get some real HP? Its to be a poor man's ES2 really. A Norton 500cc single which I cant afford - so I'm making one hahaha.

I know that the US importer offers a $700ish crank rebuild that will give the Indian Crank new life, and is promised to stand up to 6000rpm. Now.. $1200ish will get you a European Crank. But do I NEED a European crank? I know you can get a stroked crank for about $1500. But that's absurd. I have the XS400 if I want real HP (and yes for me real HP is about 50, I just have never seen the applicable need for having 100+ HP. I have toured the country now by motorcycle alone, plan to again, I have ridden new ducatis and 73 Triumphs, and Enfields, Guzzis, Jap bikes new and old... I'm happy with 50HP)

So what do I want to do with the Enfield engine? Well I want to get the Indian Crank rebuilt with the roller bearing and such. I want to slowly changed out (from the bottom up) all the Indian made parts for English or European made parts. She already has a new piston and alloy barrel from the last engine.

I also have a Compression Release Valve off a Harley which I have been working to fit - beats the stock setup



Anyways thats good for now.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War! But no, really, I'm a student to be a motorcycle mechanic, I'm 25, I write a lot, I eat less than I should, I sleep less than I should, but I like to get out and live. I don't drink, but I smoke a pipe. My sense of style is at Least 40 years out of date, I am who I am, and That's who I am.