I got the new handlebars, bar end mirrors, hand grips (made in Colorado!!!!), and the new headlight ears.
Then there are the new carb boots, an oil filter, oil filter bolt, carb balancers (vacuum gauges), the chain and sprocket, and a couple other bits, some 20' spools of wire.
I have this idea for the carbs where instead of using the old worn Mikuni vacuum slide carbs I would like to use this pair of JRC flat slide carbs I bought for the 73 Triumph. The thing is, they don't quite fit the boots. The boots on the inside have a step, the inner more narrow step is closer to the cylinder, then the inside diameter opens up to fit around the Mikuni Carb, which is larger than my new carbs. BUT my new carbs DO fit inside the deeper part.
SO the theory is to FIRST make sure these new boots really do fit the bike, as there were two different XS400 engines used in 1982 (bastards *shakes fist*) then once I know they fit, I will see how they work with the current carbs, and inspect the condition of the current carbs. IF I decide to go with the JRC carbs then my theory is that if I trim the outer rim of the boots then it will allow more clearance to slide my carbs into the spot that works, then I can place the clamp farther forward.
The trick with the JRC carbs is that I will need to use an AMAL style throttle (which I have) as well as a 2:1 cable connector (which I also have).
The JRC carb
The Mikuni Carb

As you can see the JRC carb is much more simple. It has a chrome slide that works directly off the cable tensioned by a spring.. The choke is simple, it has about 5 points of adjustment (needle, jets, cable, throttle, and one other) where as the Mikuni has about a dozen adjustments - very good for sport motorcycles - pretty useless for a 45HP mule.
Besides the complexity of setting up the Mikuni correctly and balancing it, the parts for failure are more expensive, the rubber diaphram for the vacuum slide is about $60 to replace. The JRC has the chrome flat slide which can only wear out after maybe 70,000 miles. Since the JRC is made in china the parts are incredibly cheap. SO I would much rather use them if I can.
Not to mention my JRC carbs are brand spanking new, and the Mikunis have been on the bike for 28 years.
With the Flat bars, I plan to move the controls in as far as I physically can without smacking the tank, and then cutting off the excess steel to create more narrow handlebars.
I sold the 1982 Suzuki GS550 tonight to a dude named Andy. NICE guy, a bit younger than me, but a man after my own heart. His intention is to cafe the Suzuki and ride it year round. He's a welder by trade, which is slick - because he'll be able to do things that I can't - and he's going to put the 4:1 exhaust back together. I'll probably see him on the road. It was nice talking to someone who knew what I meant by a Manx tank. It was nice to sell the bike to a guy who knew what the hell he's doing and can appreciate the machine for what its worth, as opposed to what it looks like. He also took the spare frame, gastank, rear wheel, and a half dozen other little bits and pieces which pleased me as a way to clear up more space.
I have to remember to snag an envelope later and put half the cash in it to mail to my buddy Liam.

Not the best picture of him, but a great picture all the same. Its one of those pictures where you can kind of tell what kind of a guy he is. He's changed a bit since then, this was before he had some college under his belt, and that by the way is another style of carb in his had (also better than the Mikunis on the bike) a round slide cable operated carb - but I only have that one.
Liam's the fellow who gave me the XS400, and I promised him as a result half of what I made on the GS. He'll have the money for that record player he wants, and I'll have some money for working on my car - and if I'm lucky a tire changing machine (manual) for the garage... for the shop.
I can see the guys who rode 30 years ago saying "Bah! All you need is a bench and some tire irons!" But guys, have you ever tried to break the seal on a tubeless tire? I've found a hacksaw to be the best way to remove a worn out tubeless tire. Its insane.
The Yam will need new tires soon, so will a couple friend's bikes, the Ducati eventually, the Norton... God knows what else. I think you can also change car tires with it.
So ya.
Anyways.... PEACE! *ducks out the back door*

No comments:
Post a Comment