
The Saint Jude pendant is my next tattoo. I can't wear a pendant any longer, nor a cross, because the metal against my skin causes such pain that I can't sleep. One of the ironies of having Fibro I suppose. Haha my faith in God makes no sense, I have been hurt so many times, including in a church, and by a member of the clergy. You would think... and then there are the friends that I have lost. I'm too much of a thinker for religion. And yet I believe, I really do, oh my God to I believe, and I can't shake it.
Saint Jude is the Patron Saint of Lost Causes. My original Pendant was given to me by my friend Sam, who killed himself late night on Feb 3 2006. He died in my arms. He has been weighing on my mind these last couple of weeks. His death changed me. I left the pendant he gave me in PA on my trip to Phoenix, it was a mistake, I took it off for some reason and rode off without it. I can only hope it found someone who needed it as much as I did.
The tattoo is something that I can't take off, can't loose. I don't think I will ever move forward. Saint Jude fits me. It has been 11 years since I left them, and I still can't shake the things that I have done, the things that I have seen. It haunts me, it haunts me like a sickness.
I am having a rough night. Its the things in our lives that shape us. If that is really true, and I think it is.. haha I am so fucked. I am so tired of this fight.
I can remember the days, the days when I used to get my father's gun out and load it, and it would just sit on the table next to me. Sometimes I would hold it in my hand and press it against my forehead and just pray. Pray for a way out of this.
I tried it once when I was 15. I did everything right. I got out his gun, I loaded it. I wrote my parents a 3 page letter and put it on my stack of notebooks. I sat in my room, and I wrapped my head in a towel so that they wouldn't have as much to clean up. I put this song on loop
And then I closed my eyes, I put the barrel of the gun into my mouth. It was a .38 Colt, my grandfather's old Service revolver. One bullet that I had been carrying around with me. I pulled the trigger. Man I tell you time slows down, it all but stops. I won't say your life flashes, but oh my God the sense of Regret. And the gun it didn't go off. And I just sat there and sobbed. I just Sobbed for I don't know how long, it felt like an eternity.
I went back to that gun again and again until I was 18. I never went that far again, but I would load it - with a different bullet - and I would just hold it to my temple. Saint Jude. It was the way out. It was the final solution.
When my father found out I was suicidal, when he found out how close I'd come he did two things. He gave the gun away, and he made me give him my Word that I would not take my life.
I have kept my promise. I almost lost it in Phoenix when I had a gun and bullets for a while. I almost lost it. I had to get rid of the gun. I CANT have access to a gun, its too much temptation. I can't fight that for very long. It is a tool that will get me out of here. A way to end the pain, and you cannot imagine the pain.
SO I gave my word. And then Sam killed himself. Most of the kids I worked with when I was younger are dead. Dad is dead. The people who understood me the most. Who KNEW what I have experienced are all dead and gone.
So what can I do? I won't break my word. No matter how much it HURTS. I used to joke that if I ever killed myself there would be a group of angry family members up in heaven waiting to beat me up. And now my dads up there. MY DAD IS DEAD. I want to SCREAM.
But I have people who love me down here. My mother, my family. Brent is like a brother to me. There are the people I love, and who love me. I can deal with this. I can keep fighting this. This war of attrition. Its like trench warfare. Its like WWI is going on in my skull and at night all the demons come out.
If I am anything. If I am anything at all. I am proof of how much the human mind can take, and keep going. That will be my legacy. How much more is there?
Will I live to be 30 or will I live to be 100?
Sometimes I WISH that people could See it on my face. That I looked as old as I feel. But then I'd look like Brother Plunket. It's too soon for that. I'm not ready to call it a day yet. I am a fighter.

I hesitate to comment, Jack, since I am not in pain. I do think there is no shame in taking a small comfort in the fact that you could end life when you want to. It's a Get Out of Jail Free card you can keep in your pocket. But you can't use it, really, because life is a gift, no matter what form it takes, and you don't just shove a gift back at God, your mother, your friends, who want to go on living and thinking it's worthwhile. Yeah, we need you. Don't you dare let us down. All best.
ReplyDelete