Tuesday, May 18, 2010

BRENT WATCH THIS NOW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsyMtYoSkC0

Makes Ducci laugh like crazy, and you've seen the show so you should get a real kick out of it too.


Welll.... The Kawasaki is almost solid. Been working hard on her, today she got new clutch cable, sprockets, chain, chain guard is installed, shocks are solid, new tires - which look fucking excellent. The gas still pours out the bottom of the carbs so I guess I have toooo take those apart =/ though I'll clean the tank out first.





Jon worked on the Harley tank for about 9 hours. See the small new tank we got and cleaned and painted up so nice doesn't fit! It fits, but the fuel tap is on the wrong side and buries the fuel tap in the air box. So that was out. So last night we mounted the old battered tank and man when they say "Sport" well this is the 1200S - ie - Sport. It actually has balls. Its a gas to ride, 50mph in second gear at 4000rpm. She'll go up to 6500rpm and has 5 gears. So Jon's thrilled, and I'm quite pleased with it myself though I feel weird saying that about a Harley.

So anyways the black tank which was beat to shit. Jon (I took pictures) brought over fiberglass he'd got for fixing his boat and we ground the paint off that side, then he began doing the glasswork. Well there was a large dent that couldn't be filled, but we wanted SOMETHING there, and then I remembered I had a 5" Diameter Suzuki badge thats meant to go on the end of a crank case over the alternator on a GS550. So Jon flexed that around a bit and it fit over the dent, then a lot of glass over that and the other dents. Lots of sanding, then several small layers of Bondo with a lot of clean up work, then of course the flat shit brown paint - 4 layers. So the tank should be ready to go in the morning.


It occurred to me as I was working on the KZ (my car no longer handles highways, the transmission is going) that I have wanted a vintage bike with shrouded shocks since I was 16. Well... I'm 26, I have had close to 40 motorcycles, my oldest running bike being a 73 Triumph. I have finally achieved my dream with a 77 Kawasaki. I am pleased.

Jon has agreed to take the 82 Yamaha and put her in his garage while he's gone, and not pass off the 78 Suzuki GS750 for repair till he comes back from Korea in 4 months for 2 weeks (hopefully we'll be moved by then). He is also going to keep the Ducati 900GTS in his garage till after we move.


So there will just be the Kawasaki in the garage, and hopefully my car will be gone soon.

This is the 3 bikes together (my three, or my two and my brother's):


Then just the two Superbikes:
1977 Kawaski KZ1000 and 1977 Ducati 900GTS - first years both.


When I mounted the shrouded shocks on the KZ, I put the KZ's old shocks on the Ducati, and so now she has a suspension. I also mounted the left sidecover which looks superb. They weigh the same, go the same - though the Ducati would handle better.

ANYWAYS I'm done. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War! But no, really, I'm a student to be a motorcycle mechanic, I'm 25, I write a lot, I eat less than I should, I sleep less than I should, but I like to get out and live. I don't drink, but I smoke a pipe. My sense of style is at Least 40 years out of date, I am who I am, and That's who I am.