Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hit a Snag with the Yamaha...

So I got the tire changed on the rear wheel and mounted the wheel, fixed up the brake, the bits you see below connecting the brake lever to the brake rod are all new. Thats really quite the spring, which is good, keeps me from locking up the rear wheel.


OK so first I want you to look at the sidecover, see? Thats the power of cardboard and gorilla tape!

NOW you can look at the front wheel, I will use an email I sent to a friend to explain, its easier:

Hey ====,

I'm going to need a bit of === Shop Time help =p When you have time, It's really quite simple just need some time in a lathe.

I went to change the front brake pads on the Yamaha tonight because they looked pretty worn, and when I got the caliper off I found rust on the piston which is more or less stuck, the bolt that holds the pads in place, even with Liquid Wrench broke an allen wrench trying to get it free, impact driver didn't work either... basically the caliper needs a new piston and totally rebuilt - which I can't afford. The caliper in the basement off the GS550 forks isn't much better.

So I snagged the Norton front wheel for grins, I had hoped to fit it someday, but wasn't planning on doing it anytime soon. It works well enough and won't need rebuilding.

I can't afford the parts to fix the calipers or the master cylinder (which also needs rebuilt). I can afford a new brake cable for the Norton brake, and the wheel actually fits.

The Axle ALMOST fits, thats where the lathe comes into play. I need to take a little bit off the thicker end that slides through the left fork leg, and a very little off the smaller end that slides through the right fork leg.

I won't have a speedo for a while, but I am good at guessing speeds because the Triumph and BMW and Enfield I had in Phoenix all had busted cables - and the inspection place doesn't check if your speedo works. I will have a tach which is good, and I can at a later date fit an electronic Speedo.

So to recap my 82 Yamaha has Flat slide carbs designed for Triumph's and Norton's, a Norton headlight, a Harley seat, and now a Norton front wheel... it also has a Suzuki rear fender.... and its a hardtail... oh yes and it has Honda turn signals with Kawasaki stems, and Ducati handlebars with a Norton throttle... Something is seriously wrong with me - though most can be passed off to my lack of budget.

I also technically need to make spacers, I have some bar stock in the basement we can measure where the wheel should be and do it that way.

I have the Norton and Yamaha axle in a box so measurements won't be an issue.

On the bright side the rear wheel is now fitted (needs air), the chain is on, and the rear brake is set up correctly at last! The bike is now down to the Jets and the front axle - and then it will be road worthy. I'm going to get a sidecar platform for it, and it will be my year round bike.

Anyways, thats the bit,
Best,


This is the actual brake plate, its zip tied in. I need a cable and a spring. I will need to make an arm that keeps the brake from spinning, but thats sheet metal and 3 holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War! But no, really, I'm a student to be a motorcycle mechanic, I'm 25, I write a lot, I eat less than I should, I sleep less than I should, but I like to get out and live. I don't drink, but I smoke a pipe. My sense of style is at Least 40 years out of date, I am who I am, and That's who I am.