Saturday, May 29, 2010



What you see in the picture is the front frame rail of a 1950s Dnepr Russian motorcycle/sidecar rig. I held it upside down to the rear frame on the KZ, and I do believe that if its cut just right it can be welded into place without issue - which gives me my rear mount - which is the ball.

Up front on the downward frame rail on the KZ I can mount what was the rear mount on the Dnepr. That takes care of the lower mounts! From there I have to clamp stanchions to the upper frame in two places, front and rear. The rear is easy, there are two good places to clamp onto - which will only require some minor mods to the sidecover. Up front will be a bit more tricky because of how the frame is designed. I might have to weld an eye bolt type clamp to the frame for the stanchion to mount to. Happily Dauntless is providing me with those.

I am contemplating building an actual sidecar body for the bike using Fiberglass and wood.


The body would look a bit like that without the windshield. I think that a solid sheet of plywood on the bottom, with 1/2" or 3/4" plywood sides with wood bars going in between. Then wrap it in cloth or plastic to protect the wood inside and out, then do Fiberglass over that. I would have to cost it out, but I don't really think it would cost that much, and that way I could actually in theory cary a passenger.


I still have to mail off the carbs, I'll do that on Monday. 10+ days and I'll get them back totally rebuilt, tuned, adjusted to the bike and ready to go. Mount them and I have a running motorcycle.

So the thought process is... CAN I get the sidecar mounted before then? I may have to pull the engine to get the mounts welded on. Thats the trick.



===

I also have to finish up the XS400 which I believe I am teaching Steve how to ride on, then loaning it to him for... well until he upgrades. The XS is going to be a donor bike for the Ducati at some point, carbs, turn signals, handlebar gear...

But for now it needs the jets which are in Western MA waiting to be collected, it also needs a new front axle with spacers, some brake work, and thats about it. Eventually it needs a speedo, but not right now.


I'm really out of it, so I'm going to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War! But no, really, I'm a student to be a motorcycle mechanic, I'm 25, I write a lot, I eat less than I should, I sleep less than I should, but I like to get out and live. I don't drink, but I smoke a pipe. My sense of style is at Least 40 years out of date, I am who I am, and That's who I am.