Sunday, May 30, 2010

Road trip?


There is a gathering at Nelson's Ledges in Ohio, a motorcycle meet of sorts.

These are photos of my Father at Nelson's Ledges, a place I have always wanted to visit



So I was thinking about it. Mom actually offered to drive me out there for it, but I don't think its quite that sort of thing. So my idea is to head out there on the KZ1000. But I know I'm not in good enough shape to ride the full way by myself, thats where the sidecar comes into play.

If I can build a tub for a passenger, then I can take another person and we can ride in shifts, or if I get to worn out he can take over completely. I'm thinking Liam would be a good canidate for this. So supposing the carbs are mailed off today, then they should be back here by the 12th. If I can have the sidecar built and mounted by the 12th, then I can get the bike registered and inspected by the 13th or 14th. Get a general handling on how to drive it, and make sure she's actually in good enough shape to make the trip - which I think she is.

We'd leave Friday evening. Get to Youngstown by Saturday morning. Grab some food at my Uncle George's house. Head out to Nelson's Ledges in time for the meet in the afternoon. Set up camp, mix with the people, have fun. Get some solid sleep. Leave mid afternoon Sunday. Be back here in time to deposit Liam back at camp Monday morning. I'd get some sleep at his camp place, then bring the bike home Monday evening.


Is this plan totally fucking nuts? Yes.
Is it possible? yes.
Would I do it? Hell Yes.

Why? Because it will make me feel alive again. I have been down too long, I have cabin fever, and I feel like a ghost.


The KZ has new brakes, new electrical bits, oil, carbs will be like new, sidecar will be solid, heads been rebuilt, everything works. I REALLY think that this is possible, and worth a shot. It all depends on if the bike can be done and ready on the 13th or 14th, then it depends on if I can get a second rider.



I have a plan for the sidecar. There is a tub in the basement, its actually a fiberglass sink for a dark room. Its about the right length for a tub. That would be the base. I can use that for the frame work. Its also something that would make a good bottom because nothing will splash through it. So a sheet of plywood inside of that. Build a frame work around it. I think 1/2 plywood walls, and 1/3" frame work, with some 2x4 blocks in proper places. 1/3" cross bracing over the top, with some plywood around that, thin stuff. Seal the seams. Then Fiberglass or paint. I think that would work. Find a seat for it, which I think I actually HAVE compliments of my brother... I'm not 100s though.

Anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War! But no, really, I'm a student to be a motorcycle mechanic, I'm 25, I write a lot, I eat less than I should, I sleep less than I should, but I like to get out and live. I don't drink, but I smoke a pipe. My sense of style is at Least 40 years out of date, I am who I am, and That's who I am.